Monday, November 09, 2009

What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of talking to girls? Of public speaking? Or talking to someone socially superior - like a boss?

I was afraid of a lot of things at one time. I was even afraid to talk to a shopkeeper properly. And before girls, I just froze! Yet, today I love public speaking and feel natural before girls.

There was an interesting strategy that really, really helped me rip my fears apart. Who knows, it might help you too.

Here's what I did.

1) Every night before I slept, I wrote down one small fear to face the next day. For me this was something as small as smiling at a girl. You too can choose something pretty small. What scares you just a bit? Maybe talking to a stranger and initiating a conversation. Maybe taking the initiative and ordering food when you're out with friends? Maybe just complimenting someone you don't know so well! Just write down one small little fear you can face the next day.

2) The next day, face it - that small little fear. So one day, my small fear was somehow initiating a conversation with a girl I didn't know. There was this girl sitting near me at the college help desk and I asked her - "Where are you from?" I actually shivered and shook when I asked her that! But she told me where she was from and we smiled and I realized that I felt terrific after conquering my small little fear.

3) That night write down one more small fear to face for the next day. And face it the next day.

That's it!

I mean, I know it sounds pretty easy and also weird - but it truly changed my life! I used to be so meek! As I told you, I would feel nervous before girls. The first day - I listed my small fear as "Somehow talking to a girl despite shaking." The next day it was asking her a personal, but well meaning question... And soon facing, my small fears, one day I was able to walk up to a girl I didn't know but who looked beautiful and say to her - "Hi, I don't know you, but you really look beautiful today. " And I felt so amazing! Similarly, I was afraid of even jogging because I used to think - "What will other people think about me when they see me jogging?" Imagine. Afraid of jogging! But today, I love anchoring quizzes and debates and talking to audiences...

So well, simply put - there are only 3 steps in answer to 'how to beat fear'

1) List one small little fear you have and decide to face it the next day.

2) Shiver, shake, be ripped apart, but face it the next day.

3) List another small little fear for the next day.

You do not have to do something that is terribly fearful - just something small. One step at a time, any fear can be surmounted. You don't have to speak to an audience of 2000 right now. But if you faced one small little fear everyday for 365 days, tell me, wouldn't you overcome absolutely any fear on this earth?

Do try it in your life. A fear a day. A small little one. Feel the shaking. Feel the nervousness. But rock the world, one step at a time. :)

Meghashyam Chirravoori is basically someone like you but with an unreasonable passion for exploring living more. He's written more about his attempts at fearless living at http://www.personal-development-is-fun.com/how-to-beat-fear-1.html. He writes regularly about other things he learns at http://www.personal-development-is-fun.com. Copyright - Do republish this article wherever you want, but please publish everything as it is, including this author description and the active links.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Meghashyam_Chirravoori

No comments:

Post a Comment